Saturday, July 6, 2019

Super Eagles Come From Behind To Beat Cameroon At 2019 AFCON

Super Eagles Come From Behind To Beat Cameroon At 2019 AFCON

Super Eagles come from behind, after taking the lead, to beat Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions 3-2 and advance to the quarter-finals of 2019 AFCON in Egypt.
Super Eagles Come From Behind To Beat Cameroon At 2019 AFCON

The Eagles led until the 41st minute, through an Odion Ighalo goal, before being pegged back and going behind within three minutes.

Goals from Ighalo and Alex Iwobi within three minutes after the hour restored the Nigerian side’s lead and gave them the important win.

Nigeria will now on Wednesday meet the winners of the fixture between hosts Egypt and South Africa, which will be played later on Saturday.

Friday, July 5, 2019

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara
The Zamfara Police Command has secured the release of no fewer than 40 people being held in various hideouts by volunteer vigilante groups and bandits in the state.

Their rescue followed reconciliation and peace agreement processes jointly put in place by the Zamfara State Government and the Police Command in the State

The agreement led to the freeing of no fewer than 40 kidnap victims from their captors between Thursday and Friday in the state.

Freshreporters News understood that Gov. Bello Matawalle as part of the agreement, had extended an amnesty offer to bandits in the state to surrender their weapons and embrace peace.

The Police Command also followed the pledge by asking all repentant bandits who had innocent persons in their captivity to release them in furtherance of the peace treaty.

This led to the rescue of initial 25 persons of Fulani extraction comprising men, women and children who were initially held by volunteer vigilante groups.

The 25 victims had been released by their captors in Dansadau Emirate of Maru Local Government Area of the state where they were detained by vigilantes since April 9, this year.

Another 15 persons comprising 13 males and two females were rescued by the police from the hands of bandits operating in the bushes of Shinkafi Local Government Area of the state.

This was confirmed to journalists by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Mohammed Shehu.

He said, “Today being 5th of July 2019, the Commissioner of police Zamfara State Command, CP Usman Nagogo, has once again perfected the release of fifteen (15) kidnapped victims from the hands of armed bandits in Shinkafi LGA.

“It will be recalled that yesterday 25 Fulani’s abducted by YANSAKAI volunteer group since on the 9th of April, 2019 were successfully released to the Commissioner of Police who later handed them over to the state executive governor,” the PPRO stated.

In his response to the development, the National Chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Mohammed Kiruwa applauded the efforts of the state government and Police Command for the initiative.

He expressed confidence that all victims under the captivity of the bandits would soon be released to the government in order to reunite them with their relations.

While receiving the kidnapped victims from the Commissioner of Police, Matawalle commended the commissioner for his dedication and total commitment towards ensuring peace in Zamfara.

He also described the release of the kidnapped persons as a sign that the peace process was succeeding and urged for continued support and prayers from the people of the state.

The governor directed the Government House Clinic to check the medical statuses of the victims and said the state government would organise a ceremony that would bring the Fulani, vigilante members and other people to witness the handing over of the victims to their respective families to further demonstrate that the peace process was working.

Our source gathered that one of the rescued victims, Haruna Na-Hantsi wa a national of the neighbouring state of Maradi in Niger Republic.

Another victim, Ibrahim Mohammed Moriki, a Community Health Worker attached to Kuturu Primary Healthcare Center said he was kidnapped by bandits over 20 days ago while some of those rescued along with him had spent more than two months in the hands of the bandits before he joined them.

He informed the governor that they were released from a village called Kagara in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State before they were brought to the Gusau Government House.
(NAN)
Presidential Poll Tribunal: Atiku Tenders Niger, Yobe Results, Says INEC Has Two Different Outcomes In LG

Presidential Poll Tribunal: Atiku Tenders Niger, Yobe Results, Says INEC Has Two Different Outcomes In LG

The Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, on Thursday opened the trial at the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal in Abuja by tendering the results of the polls in Niger and Yobe states.
Presidential Poll Tribunal: Atiku Tenders Niger, Yobe Results, Says INEC Has Two Different Outcomes In LG

Atiku and his party had petitioned the tribunal challenging the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari and his All Progressives Party at the February 23, 2019 election.

A renowned constitutional lawyer, Prof. Ben Nwabueze (SAN), made what turned out to be a solidarity appearance at the tribunal on Thursday. Nwabueze arrived the courtroom in a wheelchair, and was wheeled out shortly thereafter.

In his remarks before taking his leave, the 87-year-old noted that the generality of Nigerians believed that the presidential election was rigged but yet to find who perpetrated the rigging.

He urged the tribunal “to rise above the self-imposed shackles” in order to “find out the truth about what happened during that election”.

The trial commenced, shortly after Nwabueze left with Dr. Livy Uzoukwu (SAN), resuming as the lead counsel for the petitioners.

Uzoukwu tendered Forms EC8A, EC8B and EC8C – the polling units, wards, and local government result sheets for Niger and Yobe states.

The Independent National Electoral Commission, along with the two other respondents, Buhari and the APC, objected to the tendering of the result sheets which were all certified by the electoral body.

The respondents, through their respective lawyers, also objected to the tendering of the receipt of certification issued on June 7, 2019 by INEC in respect of the Niger State result sheets.

While opposing the admissibility of the receipt, Buhari’s lead counsel, Mike Igbokwe (SAN), said, “If INEC objected to the admissibility, who am I not to object? It’s their document but they are objecting to it.”

In response to the comment which ignited laughter in the courtroom, INEC’s lawyer, Yunus Usman (SAN), who being the counsel for the 1st respondent, was the first to object to the document. He quickly rose to say “it’s not our document.”

The courtroom further burst into laughter.

The APC’s lawyer, Yakubu Maikyau (SAN), also objected to the tendering of the receipt.

But the respondents’ lawyers did not object to the tendering of the certification receipt issued by INEC on May 9, 2019 in respect of the result sheets of Yobe State.

In line with the agreement reached among the parties at the pre-hearing session which ended on Wednesday, the respondents all indicated their objection to the documents tendered by the petitioners but would only give their reasons at the final address stage.

Also, as part of the agreement, the tribunal admitted all the documents as exhibits, but subject to the consideration of the reasons for the objection to be given by the respondents at the end of trial.

A total of 3,464 result sheets from the 25 local government areas of Niger State and one receipt of certification of the result sheets were admitted as exhibits.

The documents, including the receipts were admitted as P1 to P3465.

As for Yobe State, a total of 1,731 result sheets from 17 local governments, and one receipt of certification were admitted as exhibits.

The exhibits were admitted as Exhibits PY1 to PY1732.

Two result sheets for a Yobe LG

In the course of tendering the result sheets for Nangere Local Government Area of Yobe State, Justice Garba observed that Form EC8C, the local government result sheet, which ought to be one turned to be two.

He asked the petitioners’ lawyer which one should be recorded as the tendered exhibit.

Responding, Uzoukwu said, “We got the two documents from INEC. So we are tendering the two.”

The tribunal went on to admit one of the Forms EC8C as Exhibit PYB 1101 and the other as Exhibit PYB 1101A.

Shortly after the Justice Mohammed Garba-led tribunal began sitting at about 9.40am, Nwabueze announced appearance as the lead counsel for the petitioners.

He was barely audible while announcing the names of other lawyers appearing with him.

He eventually had to hand over the role to Dr. Livy Uzoukwu (SAN), who had since the commencement of the case, been leading the petitioners’ team.

Subsequently, Yunus Usman (SAN) announced appearance as the lead counsel for the Independent National Electoral Commission; Mike Igbokwe (SAN) for President Muhammadu Buhari, and Yakubu Maikyau (SAN), for the APC.

After the bar closed the appearances announcement, Nwabueze expressed “gratitude” to the tribunal for granting his “first request”.

In what he described as his “short remark,” which he sought to be allowed to deliver, Nwabueze urged the tribunal to find the truth about the election which he said many Nigerians believed to be rigged.

He said finding the truth about the polls would help to liberate Nigerians from the scourge of electoral fraud.

He said notwithstanding his age and attendant health challenges, he attended the proceedings “to underscore the importance” of the case.

He said, “The February/March 2019 general elections have come and gone, but the generality of Nigerians believe that something was wrong with them, particularly the February presidential election.
“They suspect that the latter was manipulated or, in more familiar, language, rigged.
“What is not known is how or by whom the rigging was done.
“An election tribunal/court is now saddled with the task, an intractable task, of finding out the truth about what happened.
“The task before it is made intractable by what Justice Kishna Iyer of the Indian Supreme Court referred to as the ‘tyranny of procedure, the horror of the doctrine of precedent, with its stifling and deadening insistence on uniformity, and the boobytraps of pleadings’.
“The decided election cases show the election tribunal/court has succumbed all too readily to these containing factors, but Nigerians still expect it to rise above the self-imposed shackles in order to find out the truth about what happened during that election.
“The tribunal/court owes it as a duty to the country to do, so as the discovery of the truth will set us free from the scourge of electoral malpractices.”

It turned out to be a solidarity appearance as he sought and obtained the tribunal’s permission to leave the courtroom shortly after his remarks.

Earlier, the tribunal dismissed the respondents’ earlier request for the suspension of the trial on Thursday.

The respondents had called for suspension of the proceedings on the grounds of alleged late filing and serving of the petitioners’ schedule of documents on them shortly before sitting began on Thursday.

But ruling, the five-man bench led by Justice Mohammed Garba, dismissed the respondents’ request, saying that the agreements reached among the parties at the pre-hearing session concluded earlier on Wednesday, had stipulated that trial would commence on Thursday.

Justice Garba who delivered the ruling of the tribunal added that the agreement reached and adopted as the tribunal’s directive on Wednesday, did also not make the service of the schedule of documents a condition-precedent for the commencement of trial.

He added that the respondents could also not validly claimed to have been ambushed by the alleged late filing of the schedule since the documents listed in it had been referenced in the petition filed and served on the respondents months ago.

Some PDP chiefs, including the party’s vice-president candidate, Peter Obi, were present at the proceedings.

The Thursday’s proceedings closed at 6pm.

Further hearing was adjourned till Friday.

(Source: punchng.com)
Harry And Meghan To Christen Baby Archie On Saturday

Harry And Meghan To Christen Baby Archie On Saturday

Harry and Meghan to Christen baby Archie on Saturday


Duchess of Sussex Meghan and  Prince Harry will christen their baby son at Windsor Castle this weekend, but it’s not yet known whether they have chosen Serena  Williams to be a godparent.


A statement from Buckingham Palace read: ”Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor will be christened in a small private ceremony by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Private Chapel at Windsor Castle on Saturday 6 July.


”The Duke and Duchess of Sussex look forward to sharing some images taken on the day by photographer Chris Allerton.


”The godparents, in keeping with their wishes, will remain private.”

(Contactmusic.net)
6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern California

6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern California

6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern California
The strongest earthquake in 20 years has shaken Southern California and parts of Nevada on the July 4th holiday, causing injuries and damage in a town near the epicentre.

The 6.4 magnitude quake struck at 10:33 am in the Mojave Desert, about 240 kilometres northeast of Los Angeles, near the town of Ridgecrest, California.
Some people were hit by falling objects and two house fires were reported in the town of 28,000.

Kern County Fire Chief David Witt said 15 patients were evacuated from the Ridgecrest Regional Hospital as a precaution because of some structural issues.

Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said that utility workers were assessing broken gas lines and turning off gas where necessary.
The local senior centre was holding a July 4th event when the quake hit and everyone made it out shaken up but without injuries, she said.
Oh, my goodness, there’s another one right now,” Breeden said on live television as an aftershock struck.

Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency for Kern County. The declaration means that the state will help the county and municipalities in it with emergency aid and recovery efforts.
California Highway Patrol Lt. John Williams says officials have found cracks on several roads in the county, but overpasses and underpasses are in good shape.

A series of aftershocks included a 4.5 magnitude tremor, according to the United States Geological Survey.
Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the California Institute of Technology’s seismology lab, said the earthquake was the strongest since a 7.1 quake struck in the area on October 16, 1999.

Jones said vigorous aftershocks were occurring but that they were striking in a remote sparsely populated area.

People from Las Vegas to the Pacific Coast reported feeling a rolling motion and took to social media to report it.

Glenn Pomeroy, the head of California’s Earthquake Authority, said the earthquake is “an important reminder that all of California is earthquake country.
SPARK Initiative: Firstbank To Empower 500 Widows

SPARK Initiative: Firstbank To Empower 500 Widows

First Bank of Nigeria Limited says it will scale up its empowerment of widows to 500 before the end of the year


SPARK Initiative: Firstbank To Empower 500 Widows
The bank, which provided funding to the widows to grow their micro-medium scale businesses, has empowered 125 widows as identified by the International Women Society (IWS).

Mrs Bashirat Odunewu, the Group Executive, International Banking Group (ITBG), said this at the 125 widows’ endowment empowerment programme in commemoration of FirstBank 125th Anniversary in Lagos,

She said the bank’s partnership with IWS was designed to further the empowerment of women, especially widows, as part of activities marking 2019 Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Week (CR&S).

She stated that the CR&S week with the theme: ‘Ripples of Kindness; You First’ reflects the brand promise to always put its stakeholders first and is designed to offer employees and other stakeholder, opportunities to give their time and resources to defined causes.

Odunewu, who was represented at the event by the bank’s Business Development Manager (ITBG), Mr Kunle Olorunfemi, explained that as part of the bank’s employee giving and volunteering programme, the week focuses on wide range of activities under the SPARK (Start Performing Acts of Random Kindness) initiative.

According to her, it includes partnership with IWS for the empowerment of widows, as well as visit and donations to orphanage/less privileged homes, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and deepening the values of SPARK amongst school children.

“A world without active collaboration amongst people, organisations, nations and regions is inconceivable.

“We are here because of our collective desire to pursue synergies that would generate progress for us and future generations. That is the focal piece of sustainability. I am, therefore, optimistic that this partnership will help drive sustainable development.

“At First Bank the partnership amongst people and stakeholders have sustained us for over 125 years. As you might be aware our impact traverses virtually every sector of the economy. This indeed resonates our 125 anniversary theme – ‘Woven into the Fabric of Society’

“Such partnerships have also provided the opportunity for us to help create an enabling platform for Small and Medium Enterprises to thrive and develop the national economy.

“The partnership with International Women Society is designed to advance social and economic impact by providing capital and capacity building for women running small businesses including widows.

“We believe that a committed, well-funded and well implemented partnership with International Women Society will enhance our goals as a responsible corporate citizen, which include focusing on empowering women and nation building.

“The partnership with IWS is also in line with the bank’s financial inclusion and women’s economic empowerment policy which promotes accessible and affordable financial products and services to disadvantaged groups with the goal of bringing these marginalised populations into the mainstream economy, improving their chances for resilient livelihoods and financial stability.

“In partnering with International Women Society, by providing opportunities for widows in areas of capacity building and access to start-up capital, the Bank advances social and economic impact,” he said.
(NAN)
Lady Flogs Her Househelp Mercilessly For Crying Out After Her Brother Tried To Rape Her

Lady Flogs Her Househelp Mercilessly For Crying Out After Her Brother Tried To Rape Her

A young girl was beaten up mercilessly by her aunt after she cried out when the lady’s brother tried to rape her.
Lady flogs her househelp mercilessly for crying out after her brother tried to rape her


Facebook user, Agatha Ayerite, who shared the story online, wrote:

Pls admin I need these pictures to go viral, this is what an Aunty did to a child that lives with her. The child was almost raped by the aunt’s brother that came to visit them, because the child cried out she was beaten beyond recognition.”


According to reports, the incident happened in Lagos Island and that the girl attends Lafiaji High school…

See other photos below:

Lady flogs her househelp mercilessly for crying out after her brother tried to rape her

Lady flogs her househelp mercilessly for crying out after her brother tried to rape her


Lady flogs her househelp mercilessly for crying out after her brother tried to rape her

(Yabaleft)