Showing posts with label world news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label world news. Show all posts

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Former Egyptian President Morsi Dies In Court During Sitting

Former Egyptian President Morsi Dies In Court During Sitting

Former Egyptian President Morsi dies in court during sitting

Egypt’s ousted president Mohammed Morsi collapsed and died in court on Monday during a court session, state TV said.

Morsi was the fifth president of Egypt from June 2012 until July 2013, when General Abdel Fattah el-Sisi removed him from office in the 2013 Egyptian coup d’état after the June 2013 Egyptian protests.


More update latter....







.
Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16
An 18 year-old teenager who got admitted to Havard has lost his admission after a racist comment he made when he was 16 surfaced.

Kyle Kashuv who is one of the survivors of the 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting that left 17 students and teachers dead,  made some racist comments few months before the massacre in Parkland, Florida and the comments recently resurfaced and cost him dearly.

Kyle, a gun rights activist, was admitted to Harvard earlier this year but his admission has been rescinded after the screenshots of him using racial slurs surfaced.
 Kyle's classmates had accused him of repeatedly using the N-word.
Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16
After his admission was revoked, Kyle took to Twitter to explain his previous remarks.

See his tweets below.....

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16

Harvard Revokes Teenager's Admission Over Racist Comment He Made At 16


Saturday, June 15, 2019

Paris’s Notre-dame Holds First Mass Since Fire Outbreak

Paris’s Notre-dame Holds First Mass Since Fire Outbreak

The Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris hosted its first mass on Saturday exactly two months after a devastating blaze, with priests and worshippers wearing hard hats to protect themselves against possible falling debris.
Paris’s Notre-dame Holds First Mass Since Fire Outbreak

Dressed in a white robe and helmet, Archbishop of Paris Michel Aupetit led the service, which was attended by just some 30 people — half of them clergy.

“The fire, which ravaged the building on April 15, has provoked a wave of emotion, not only for the community of believers,” Archbishop Aupetit said in his sermon, broadcast live

“This cathedral is a place of worship, that’s its true and unique purpose.”

The mass started at 6:00 pm (1600 GMT) in the Chapel of the Virgin on the east side of the cathedral, confirmed to be safe.

Protective nets have been strung above the nave and choir and rubble still strews the floor but the pews have remained intact.

Aupetit was joined by the rector of Notre-Dame, Patrick Chauvet, other clergy, volunteers, people working on the restoration as well a handful of lay worshippers.

The date was chosen as it is the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral’s altar, which is celebrated every year on June 16.

The date is “highly significant, spiritually,” Chauvet had told AFP ahead of the service, adding he was happy to be able to show that “Notre-Dame is truly alive”.

– Five-year plan –

President Emmanuel Macron has set an ambitious target of five years for restoring Notre-Dame, which was gutted by a fire on April 15 that felled its steeple and consumed the lattice of beams supporting the roof.

The diocese is awaiting a response from the French authorities over whether it can re-open the esplanade in front of the cathedral to the public.

If the authorities approve the plan, the idea is to celebrate evening prayers there, the diocese said.

The church has also floated the idea of erecting a temporary structure in front of the cathedral to welcome worshippers while the building is being repaired.

Up to 150 workers have been working at the cathedral daily since the fire, continuing to remove debris and stabilise the structure.

Gombe assets recovery committee invites ex gov, Dankwambo, aides
Two large white canopies have been put in place to ensure the edifice is protected, including from rain.

– ‘Inventive’ reconstruction –

Macron’s call for an “inventive” rather than identical reconstruction of the steeple has left some architects up in arms.

Meanwhile, legislation over the reconstruction has been blocked in parliament over disagreements between the upper and lower houses and is now only expected to be adopted at the end of July.

Pledges of some 850 million euros ($960 million) had been made from prominent French businessmen and ordinary citizens but only around 10 percent of that has been donated so far.


France Info public radio said just 80 million euros had been handed over, with businessmen giving the money in tranches and some private individuals renouncing their pledges due to the apparent success of the campaign.

Notre-Dame has figured as a central character through the ups and downs of French history since construction began in mid-12th century.

During the French Revolution in the 18th century, it was vandalised and plundered but went on to feature as a central character in a Victor Hugo’s novel “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame” (1831) which is credited with helping save it.

It survived the devastation of two global conflicts in the 20th century and famously rang its bells on August 24, 1944, the day of the Liberation of Paris from German occupation at the end of the World War II.

(AFP)

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Iran’s Supreme Leader Rules Out Negotiations With U.S.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Rules Out Negotiations With U.S.

Iran’s supreme leader rules out negotiations with U.S.
Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, ruled out any future negotiations with the U.S. on Thursday, during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Iran does not trust the U.S.,’’ Khamenei said in Tehran. “We have already had the bitter experience with the Americans over the nuclear deal and do not want to repeat this experience.’’

The U.S. unilaterally withdrew in 2018 from the Iran agreement, which was aimed at preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear arsenal.

Washington’s decision to begin implementing oil and banking sanctions has crippled Iran’s economy and placed the deal’s European signatories under pressure.

No country in its right mind would negotiate under such circumstances, said Khamenei, who has the final say on all strategic policy in the Islamic Republic under Iran’s constitution.

Abe has offered to serve as an intermediary, as Japan has amicable relations with Iran.

Tokyo had long relied on Tehran for oil imports until the Trump administration ended its sanctions waivers granted to buyers of Iran’s crude oil.

Khamenei commended Japan’s efforts. “But I don’t regard U.S. President Donald Trump as worthy of sending a message or an answer,’’ he said.

The supreme leader added that his distrust lies in Trump’s goal to force regime change in Iran, which Khamenei said will not work.
United States Joins Diplomatic Push To Ensure Transition Deal In Sudan

United States Joins Diplomatic Push To Ensure Transition Deal In Sudan

U.S. Joins Diplomatic Push To Ensure Transition Deal In Sudan

The top U.S. diplomat for Africa on Wednesday joined an international effort to press Sudan’s military rulers and the opposition toward a deal on a transition to democracy two months after the overthrow of former President Omar al-Bashir.

An Ethiopian envoy has said that the military and opposition groups have agreed to resume talks on the formation of a transitional council that collapsed after the violent dispersal of a protest sit-in on June 3.

Tibor Nagy, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for Africa, met on Wednesday with the main opposition coalition and held talks with Sudan’s acting Deputy Foreign Minister Ilham Ibrahim.

Before the meetings, the State Department said Nagy was going to urge the parties to work toward an environment conducive to the resumption of negotiations. The United States also on Wednesday named veteran diplomat Donald Booth as its envoy to Sudan.

After meeting Nagy, the main opposition coalition said that it would only participate in indirect talks and it would impose other conditions.

We have informed the Ethiopian prime minister that we refuse to have direct negotiations with the transitional military council,” said Madani Abbas Madani, a leader of the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces.

The point of contention between us is clear and our terms are clear; we are talking now about issues of transition to civilian rule and the rights of martyrs.”

The bloodshed has drawn expressions of concern from world powers including the United States, which imposed sanctions on Sudan under Bashir over its alleged support for militant groups and the civil war in Darfur.

Stability in the nation of 40 million is crucial for a volatile region struggling with conflict and insurgencies from the Horn of Africa to Egypt and Libya.

The military council has been bolstered by support from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which between them have offered $3 billion in aid.