Showing posts with label society. Show all posts
Showing posts with label society. Show all posts

Friday, July 26, 2019

Nigerian Students Shuts MTN Office Over Killings Of Nigerians In S/Africa

Nigerian Students Shuts MTN Office Over Killings Of Nigerians In S/Africa

Freshreporters News gathered that the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on Thursday closed the Kaduna office of South African Telecommunication giant, MTN, over xenophobic attacks and killings of 118 Nigerians in the last two years.
Nigerian Students Shuts MTN Office Over Killings Of Nigerians In S/Africa

NANS’ Director, Travels and Exchange, Mr Dominic Philip, explained in Kaduna that the step was necessary to curb further attacks, looting, destruction and mindless killings of African nationalities, particularly Nigerians in South Africa.

Philip recalled that Nigeria had contributed morally, financially, diplomatically and logistically to the agitations that eventually led to the emancipation of South Africans from white’s domination.

The NANS official also said that African countries led by Nigeria, helped in the institutionalisation of black majority rule in South Africa in 1994.

He equally said that Nigeria played a big brotherly role by opening economic opportunities for South African citizens to invest in the Nigerian market, the biggest market in Africa.

Philip, however, noted with dismay, that instead of reciprocating the gesture, South Africa had allowed Nigerians to suffer all forms of discrimination, including murders  and looting of their businesses.

According to him, NANS will no longer align with Nigerian Government diplomatic approach, which is cosmopolitan and reconciliatory on the issue.

“Available record has shown that the levels of attacks on Nigerians is on astronomical rise, with the recent killing of Nigerian by South Africans, on July 20 increasing the number to 118 in the last two years.

“Out of this number, 13 were reportedly killed by South African Police in an extra-Judicial manner.

“It appears that the South African government is incapable of bringing their citizens to order and stop the killings, leaving us with no option than to picket South African businesses in Nigeria until the killing is stopped.

“We, therefore, want the South African government to investigate and provide accurate number of Nigerians so far killed and prosecute perpetrators of xenophobic attacks to ensure justice for the victims.

“We equally want the government to generate data of all Nigerians, whose properties were bunt or looted for immediate compensation.”

Philip said that NANs equally demanded that all South African businesses in Nigeria be closed pending sufficient proof that Nigerians living anywhere in South Africa were safe and allowed to do their businesses freely.

Monday, July 22, 2019

Lagos Socialite Pretty Mike Storms Event On The Shoulders Of 6 Hefty Men (Photos)

Lagos Socialite Pretty Mike Storms Event On The Shoulders Of 6 Hefty Men (Photos)

Lagos socialite Pretty Mike storms event on the shoulders of 6 hefty men (photos)
Nigerian socialite and Lagos big boy, Pretty Mike, has once again managed to get Nigerians talking with his dramatic entrance into an event recently.

The Lagos big boy and businessman, who is known for being rather eccentric, sure knows how to redefine dramatic entrances with every single outing he goes for.

Currently trending on social media are various clips of the socialite being carried on a bed by 6 huge men into an event.
The men who covered their faces with white handkerchiefs, were bare-chested and had white shorts on, shoes with white socks and

See photos below:

This is not the first time he is attending an event in this manner.
Recall a while ago, he did the same thing but with dwarfs all dressed in similar outfits.

In the video shared online, Pretty Mike was seen proceeding into the wedding party hall with one of the dwarfs leading the way with a calabash that had some items burning in it which could easily pass for a typical sacrifice.

Prior to that, Pretty Mike who seems to enjoy controversy, stepped out to a wedding with two ladies on a leash. The ladies, who wore matching pink dresses and masks, didn't seem to mind being held by the chain around their necks, as they moved in front of their 'owner'.
(Legit.ng)

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Cassava: Association Urges States To Prioritise Processing Plants

Cassava: Association Urges States To Prioritise Processing Plants

The Nigerian Cassava Growers Association (NCGA) has urged State governments to prioritise cassava production by providing processing plant and machines to boost national economy.

Mr Segun Adewumi, the National President of the association, made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja.

He said the availability of either the processing plant or machines would assist farmers to process cassava to its final production stage and ultimately help the country realise its inherent enormous potential.

Adewumi, who specifically noted that the nation had more than enough cassava farmlands, however, decried the absence of state of the art machines to process and derive other finished products from the commodity.

He said that such government’s assistance would eliminate post- harvest losses currently bedeviling farmers in the country.

According to him, cassava generates more income than oil if its potential are fully harnessed; the challenge is lack of government’s attention with regard to providing farmers with processing machines for improved and well packaged finished products.

He said some of the by-products or final products of cassava outside gari are starch, tapioca, ethanol, flour for different purposes among others.

NCGA’s president further identified cassava as the greatest industrial materials that provided companies with five major utility industrial products.

One of them is ethanol and ethanol can trigger industrial revolution because you can get more than 100 products from it,” he said.

Adewumi said that some of cassava products could be used by pharmaceutical companies and multi-national companies.

Nigeria is the highest producer of cassava; so we should be able to promote it to realise its full potential.

“So, if the government can create an enabling environment that will allow people to bring in and install machines that will mill our cassava into this products, our association will be able to contribute maximally to the economy.

“Government should pay attention to processing plant by collaborating with non-government organisations, financial institutions among others to ease and lessen the burden of farmers’ post-harvest losses,” he said.

Friday, July 19, 2019

Tailor Docked Over Alleged N1.48m Fraud

Tailor Docked Over Alleged N1.48m Fraud

Tailor docked over alleged N1.48m fraud
A 47-year-old tailor, Popoola Abolade, was on Friday brought before a Yaba Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly defrauding a company of N1.48 million.

Abolade, who resides in Ikeja area of Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of stealing and obtaining by false pretenses, to which he pleaded not guilty.

The Prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Oriabure, told the court that the defendant committed the offences at 1p.m. on Jan. 19, at No. 33, Olorunlogbon St., Anthony Village, Lagos.

Oriabure said that the defendant was contracted by Slloyd Nigeria Ltd., to sew 222 uniforms worth over N1.6million for its workers.

He said however that the defendant delivered only 48 of the uniforms to the company and promised to deliver the remaining 174 uniforms, which he failed to do.

Oriabure told the court that instead of meeting his contractual obligations, the defendant locked up his shop and absconded with the balance of N1.48million.

My Lord, it was the company’s Human Resources consultant, Mr Olumide Oladipo that made the report at the station.

“Upon investigation, the defendant was arrested and he signed an undertaking to supply the remaining uniforms to the company or return the money within three weeks.

“My Lord, that was in May, up to date, he has refused to do either,” the prosecutor  said.

Oriabure said the offences contravened Section 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

Section 287 stipulates a three-year jail term for stealing, while Section 314 carries 15 years for obtaining by false pretences: the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports 

The Magistrate, Mrs S.O. Obasa, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum.

Obasa ordered that the sureties must be above 40 years and reside within the court’s jurisdiction.

He added that the sureties should show evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

The case was adjourned till July 30, for mention.

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Medical Outreach: NGO, African Doctors Offer Free Treatment To 700 Patients

Medical Outreach: NGO, African Doctors Offer Free Treatment To 700 Patients

No fewer than 700 patients with various illnesses in Dobi, a community in Gwagwalada Area Council of FCT, have benefited from a free medical treatment offered by Oral Health Advocacy Initiative (OHAI), an NGO, in collaboration with African Doctors for Africa.
Medical Outreach: NGO, African doctors offer free treatment to 700 patients

The Executive Director of OHAI, Dr Ver-or Ngutor, said on Thursday in Abuja that the medical outreach which took place on Wednesday was for women and children with focus on malaria control, oral health, Hepatitis B and C, nutrition, eyes screening and provision of lenses, tuberculosis and HIV/Aids.

Ngutor in a statement expressed excitement over the huge turnout of the people and commended the traditional institution in the area for mobilising its people to take advantage of the programme.

He pledged the commitment of OHAI and African Doctors for Africa to continue to work closely to ensure that that healthcare was available for as many as possible.

Aside the testing and treatment, the organisers donated 80 wrappers to women during the outreach.

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, Mrs Ifeoma Anagbogu represented by Mr Joseph Dzungwe at the event, explained that the outreach had given credence to Nigeria’s signing of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).

She also said it was a sign of elimination of all forms of discrimination against women (CEDAW) as well as other statutes, conventions and treaties which enjoin states, parties to ensure the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health facilities for the prevention and treatment of illnesses.

Anagbogu noted that the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs placed premium on well-being and rights to quality health of women and girls and other vulnerable groups in the society, hence, the collaboration with non-governmental organisation and Community-Based Organisations (CBOs) and other initiatives to this end.

“Government alone cannot meet the health needs of our teaming population, hence, the need for the contribution of NGOs, CBOs, other stakeholders and partners who provide a variety of services and programmes for the health benefits of the populace,” the statement quoted Anagbogu as saying.

It also quoted Mrs Nma Ogbonna, Assistant Director/Head NGOs, who represented the Director of Health Planning and Statistics, Federal Ministry of Health, as saying that the activities championed by OHAI and African Doctors for Africa would in no small measure contribute to government’s efforts to improve health of the people.

Earlier, the traditional ruler of the community, Alhaji Ismaila Nda-Etsu Dobi, lauded the organisers for their commitment in providing medical care to his subjects.

He urged governments at all level to support NGOs such as OHAI that had shown capacity over the time in providing healthcare services particularly for the local communities.

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Father Sexually Assaults Daughter Lands In Court

Father Sexually Assaults Daughter Lands In Court

Father sexually assaults daughter lands in court
A 60-year-old man, Mr Godwin Anukwa, who sexually assaulted his eight years old daughter, was on Thursday in Lagos granted N500,000 bail.

An Ikeja Chief Magistrate’s Court, which granted the defendant bail, directed him to provide two sureties as part of the conditions.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Yewande Aje-Afunwa, ordered that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State Government.

Aje-Afunwa added that one of the sureties should be related to the defendant.

The defendant, whose address was not provided, is facing a charge of unlawful sexual assault.

He, however, pleaded not guilty.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, ASP Peter Nwangwu, told the court that the defendant committed the offence in March at Airport Estate, Isheri, Lagos.

Nwangwu said that the defendant sexually assaulted his daughter (name withheld) by inserting his finger into her private parts.

According to him, the defendant was arrested by the police after the case was reported.

He said the offence contravened Section 261 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Section prescribes a three-year jail term for any offender.

Friday, July 5, 2019

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara

40 kidnap victims regain freedom in Zamfara
The Zamfara Police Command has secured the release of no fewer than 40 people being held in various hideouts by volunteer vigilante groups and bandits in the state.

Their rescue followed reconciliation and peace agreement processes jointly put in place by the Zamfara State Government and the Police Command in the State

The agreement led to the freeing of no fewer than 40 kidnap victims from their captors between Thursday and Friday in the state.

Freshreporters News understood that Gov. Bello Matawalle as part of the agreement, had extended an amnesty offer to bandits in the state to surrender their weapons and embrace peace.

The Police Command also followed the pledge by asking all repentant bandits who had innocent persons in their captivity to release them in furtherance of the peace treaty.

This led to the rescue of initial 25 persons of Fulani extraction comprising men, women and children who were initially held by volunteer vigilante groups.

The 25 victims had been released by their captors in Dansadau Emirate of Maru Local Government Area of the state where they were detained by vigilantes since April 9, this year.

Another 15 persons comprising 13 males and two females were rescued by the police from the hands of bandits operating in the bushes of Shinkafi Local Government Area of the state.

This was confirmed to journalists by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Mohammed Shehu.

He said, “Today being 5th of July 2019, the Commissioner of police Zamfara State Command, CP Usman Nagogo, has once again perfected the release of fifteen (15) kidnapped victims from the hands of armed bandits in Shinkafi LGA.

“It will be recalled that yesterday 25 Fulani’s abducted by YANSAKAI volunteer group since on the 9th of April, 2019 were successfully released to the Commissioner of Police who later handed them over to the state executive governor,” the PPRO stated.

In his response to the development, the National Chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Mohammed Kiruwa applauded the efforts of the state government and Police Command for the initiative.

He expressed confidence that all victims under the captivity of the bandits would soon be released to the government in order to reunite them with their relations.

While receiving the kidnapped victims from the Commissioner of Police, Matawalle commended the commissioner for his dedication and total commitment towards ensuring peace in Zamfara.

He also described the release of the kidnapped persons as a sign that the peace process was succeeding and urged for continued support and prayers from the people of the state.

The governor directed the Government House Clinic to check the medical statuses of the victims and said the state government would organise a ceremony that would bring the Fulani, vigilante members and other people to witness the handing over of the victims to their respective families to further demonstrate that the peace process was working.

Our source gathered that one of the rescued victims, Haruna Na-Hantsi wa a national of the neighbouring state of Maradi in Niger Republic.

Another victim, Ibrahim Mohammed Moriki, a Community Health Worker attached to Kuturu Primary Healthcare Center said he was kidnapped by bandits over 20 days ago while some of those rescued along with him had spent more than two months in the hands of the bandits before he joined them.

He informed the governor that they were released from a village called Kagara in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State before they were brought to the Gusau Government House.
(NAN)