Showing posts with label education. Show all posts
Showing posts with label education. Show all posts

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Education For All : Gov. Ganduje Declares Free & Compulsory Education

Education For All : Gov. Ganduje Declares Free & Compulsory Education

Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, has declared free primary and secondary education for school age children in the state.‎
Second term:Gov. Ganduje declares free, compulsory education
Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, has declared free primary and secondary education for school age children in the state.‎

He made the declaration in his acceptance speech, shortly after being sworn in as Kano State Governor for second term in Kano on Wednesday.

He promised free and compulsory basic education for all schoolage children in Kano.

According to him, tertiary education for Kano indigenes will also be subsidised, as government consolidates on the achievements so far recorded in healthcare delivery.

Ganduje said he would establish new company known as “Kano State Small Town Water Supply Agency” to carter for the water needs of communities in rural areas.

He also promised to boost agriculture and reiterated his administration’s policy of zero tolerance to corruption.

Freshreporters News understands that the governor was sworn in by the Chief Judge of Kano State, Justice Nuradeen Sagir Umar, alongside his Deputy, Dr Nasiru Yusuf Gawuna.

The inauguration  was witnessed by prominent personalities, including National Assembly members-elect from the state, top government officials, as well as traditional rulers and  members of the business community. 

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

UTME: ICPC partners JAMB, Launches Probe Into Malpractices

UTME: ICPC partners JAMB, Launches Probe Into Malpractices

Investigations has begun by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) into alleged malpractices during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted across the country.

A member of Board of the commission, Mrs Olubukola Balogun, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Abuja on Tuesday.

She said that the commission was investigating the alleged malpractice by candidates, who were sometimes aided by their parents and professional examination writers.

According to her, the commission is doing a lot to investigate the matter.

“We have the mandate for investigation, prosecution and prevention.

“We are putting everything together for JAMB. I can assure you that we will get there.
“The commission is going to know what happened and how we can prevent it in the future,” she said.

Balogun said that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted, insisting that “those that err, after our investigation, we are going to prosecute’’.

Describing examination malpractice as “an act of corruption’’, the board member said that such activity would not be allowed to thrive in the country’s education system.

“There is a lot of corruption everywhere; therefore, we have to go back to the drawing board and we have to all come together for this fight against the scourge,” she said.

Recall, it had reported that JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, had at an event revealed that some desperate parents were in the habit of paying up to 10 persons to sit for the examination for just one child of theirs.

“You will discover that such a candidate who goes to university with his or her picture is not the same as the one who wrote the UTME, neither was he nor she the one who wrote the WASSCE.

Also ReadJamb Plans To Publish Names Of Popular Politicians Who Cheated During UTME

“So, what is going to happen is for us to find a way of ensuring more synergy between the assessment bodies and the institutions, in such a way that all sharp practices are nipped into the bud.

“We are also looking at building mega CBT centres for our examinations but this we cannot also achieve alone.

“We will also encourage genuine private investors who will now be the body that will accredit its own sub groups, just as we will also bring in the Computer Registration Council of Nigeria,” Oloyede said. (NAN)

Sunday, May 26, 2019

UBEC Executive Secretary Says Only 57 % Of 1.5m Basic Education Teachers Are Qualified

UBEC Executive Secretary Says Only 57 % Of 1.5m Basic Education Teachers Are Qualified

UBEC Executive Secretary Says 57 % Of 1.5m Basic Education Teachers Are Qualified
The Executive Secretary of Universal Basic Education Commission, Dr. Hamid Bobboyi has revealed that only 57 per cent of the nation’s basic education teachers are qualified.

Bobboyi also said that there was an increase from 841,716 in 2008 to 1.5 million in 2018 in the population of the teachers.

Bobboyi disclosed this in Kaduna on Saturday, in a paper entitled, “State of Basic Education in Nigeria: Prospect and Challenges”.

The paper was presented at the ongoing two-day policy retreat with the theme, “The State of Basic Education in Kaduna State: Prospects and Challenges”, organised by the state’s Ministry for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.

The UBEC boss said that the percentage represented a decline from 76 per cent in 2008 to 57 per cent in 2018.

He said that in spite of the huge investment in the sector, basic education was still characterised by poor learning outcomes, unqualified teachers and acute infrastructure deficit among others.

He also expressed concern over the increasing rate of enrollment in basic schools, which he said was not proportional to the available infrastructure and funding.

“For example, enrolment in pre-primary school (Early Child Care Development Education) has increased from 2.1 million in 2006 to 2.7 million in 2010 and skyrocketed to 7.2 million in 2018, representing 167 per cent increase.

“Also, enrolment in primary schools, which declined from 24.2 million in 2006 to 21.9 million in 2010, equally increased to 27.9 million in 2018, indicating a 27 per cent increase.

“The story was no different in Junior Secretary schools where enrolment also increased from 3.6 million in 2006 to 4.6 million in 2010 and further increased to 6.8 million in 2018, representing 49 per cent increase.

He also said that enrollment in public primary schools constituted 83 per cent in contrast with 17 per cent in private primary schools.

(NAN)
NDA New Entrance Exam Date For 71st Regular Course Admission

NDA New Entrance Exam Date For 71st Regular Course Admission

NDA new Entrance Exam date for the 71st regular course admission, 2019/2020 has been announced.
NDA New Entrance Exam Date For 71st Regular Course Admission

According to the management of the Academy, Saturday 8  June 2019 has been fixed as the new date for the  NDA Screening Test.

The screening test will hold simultaneously across different centres nationwide.

In the light of this, candidates who duly applied to the Nigerian Defence Academy and successfully scored minimum of 180 (One Hundred and Eighty) in UTME  are advised to visit application portal on the NDA website www.rcapplications.nda.edu.ng to select the examination centre of their choice and print out their examination card.

Please note that only those with duly printed Examination Card will be admitted into the various centres for the test.

Once again, the Academy wishes to thank the general public for the patience and usual cooperation.

Abubakar Abdullahi

Major

Academy Public Relations Officer

23 May 2019

Thursday, May 23, 2019

New NYSC DG : I Will Rather Die Than Lose One Corp Member

New NYSC DG : I Will Rather Die Than Lose One Corp Member

The new NYSC DG, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, has shown a good heart for the job before him stating that he is ready to sacrifice his life to make sure that no corps member is lost during the cause of their service for the nation.

Mr. Ibrahim made this known on Wednesday at the NYSC Zonal Office in Akure during a visit to the staff and corps members.

The new NYSC DG also told corps members to keep be securuty conscious and to keeo themselves abreast of what was happening in their environment.
New Nysc DG : I Will Rather Die Than Lose One Corp Member

The DG also urged the corps members to take advantage of the entrepreneurial programmes put in place by the scheme instead of going on frivolous travels.

Read his statement in part:
“I will prefer to die than losing a corps member. Keep yourself abreast of what is happening in your country, and make a difference as a corps member.

“I want to rejig our skills acquisition programme. If you take it seriously, we have partners that are ready to lend you money. I am very passionate about the scheme and my corps members.

“I came for a youth programme, so I decided to visit you my ‘children’. What will you be remembered for when you leave this place? Try as much as possible to keep your records clean,” he said.

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Jamb Releases Results Of 1.7m Candidates, Blacklists 116 Centres For Malpractices

Jamb Releases Results Of 1.7m Candidates, Blacklists 116 Centres For Malpractices

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board has released the results of 1,792,719 candidates out of the 1,886,508 who sat for the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examinations in April.

Announcing the results in Abuja on Saturday, the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, said 34,120 results were withheld, including the results of 15,145 candidates which were being further clarified  as ‘identical twins and siblings.’


He explained further that 59,667 candidates were absent during the exams.
Oloyede stated, “A total of  1,826,839 sat for the UTME. Today, we are releasing the results of 1,792,719 candidates.
Some 34,120 results are being withheld, including the results of 15,145 candidates being further clarified  as identical twins and siblings.”

The board stated that the UTME, which was conducted between April 11 and 17, 2019 across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, was painstaking, describing it as a success story.

The JAMB registrar disclosed that 116 exam centres had been blacklisted, including a Computer-based Test centre in Akokwa in Delta State which bribed exam officers with N1.7m.


We have recovered the payment voucher and the concerned staff are being investigated,  but they claimed that they received the bribe because their lives were in danger,” Oloyede stated.

He noted that the exams recorded multiple registrations, pointing out that a candidate, for instance, registered 23 times for the examination.

Oloyede said, “A total of 116 centres have been de-listed or suspended. Out of this number, 18  have been sanctioned by the Governing Board of JAMB with suspension for between one and three years for registration-related misconduct.”


He directed candidates to send ‘RESULT’ to the short code, 55019, on their handsets, adding that they did not need to patronise a cyber cafe to check their results.
(Punching.com)

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Jamb Plans To Publish Names Of Popular Politicians Who Cheated During UTME

Jamb Plans To Publish Names Of Popular Politicians Who Cheated During UTME

Jamb Announces Plan To Publish Names Of Prominent Politicians Who Cheated During Utme

"It has been discovered that some highly ranked politicans in Nigeria didn't actually sit for the UTME examination by themselves" : Jamb Registrar, Ishaq Oloyede said.

In a statement released on Friday at the 23rd annual seminar of the Nigerian Academy of Education. The Registrar said the outcome of its probe into examination fraud between 2009 and 2019 will shock many Nigerians.

Oloyede said although the board may not be able to punish the culprits because they have already left the system, it would go ahead to publish their names in order to shame them.

He also said the board has hired a Senior Advocate of Nigeria to conduct the prosecution of more than 100 persons caught in various malpractices during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), which held between April 11 and 18, and who were arrested by security operatives across the country –  Lindaikejisblog reported


Freshreporters News understood that the registrar did not name the SAN leading the prosecution of the errant UTME candidates and professional examination fraudsters. He also did not state the day the 2019 UTME results would be released. Oloyede said the board was amused by the insinuation that its server had crashed. Such comments, he said, were amusing to members of the board.

"If I were to be punishing every staff of JAMB that is committing infractions, I will not focus on the assignment. I will be going from one disciplinary committee to the other and my attention will be diverted. And that is why I go for the shortest route: once you are caught to have committed one infraction, you will not be assigned with examination duties again. It is a privilege, which I can withdraw.

“If you are that bad that I don’t want to see your face around me, I will transfer you to another place. If we have to take disciplinary action against all of them, look at it, today, we have not less than 100 people in police cells across the country who were caught for examination malpractices.

“I have appointed a Senior Advocate of Nigeria who is a former Solicitor-General to help me oversee all these so that the suspects can be brought to book. And my Director of Legal asked me, what offences should we charge these people for; for multiple registration? And I said, why can’t we go to the Examination Malpractice Act?

“So, my problem has started with having to draft the charges, despite the fact that we have evidence against them. That is the beginning of the problem. I will now ask to be paying my staff to travel out of Abuja to be testifying in court as they are adjourning month after month the cases, and we will be wasting money and time on transport" the registrar said.