Sunday, March 1, 2020

I Drank, Passed Out When My 11-year-old Brother Was Electrocuted –Esther-Whyte

An 11-year-old boy, Godspower Bassey Isemin was on Friday, February 21, 2020, electrocuted when an electricity cable snapped and fell on a gate when he was leaning on while washing clothes. 

I Drank, Passed Out When My 11-year-old Brother Was Electrocuted –Esther-Whyte

His elder sister and actress, Esther-Whyte Bassey, talks about the pain of losing her brother.

When she was asked how she felt losing her brother to electric shock, she said;

The electrocution of my brother was caused by a facility of Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company. It happened while he was washing his clothes and leaning on a gate. It has been a really difficult and heartbreaking moment for me and my family, especially my mum who has not recovered from the trauma. Losing someone as dear as Godspower is a nightmare we are all begging to wake up from. It’s really sad to wake up to the reality that someone as humble and God-fearing as my beloved brother is no more with us.

Godspower shouldn’t have died, he never deserved it. Since his death, it has been a turning moment for my family and I just hope we, especially my mum, are able to move on soon.

Narrating how difficult it is for her, the actress said;

Since the sad untimely death of Godspower, it has been very difficult for me to catch any sleep; even my mum could not sleep. I only realised how deep it was eating into me and breaking me down when I took to drinking as an escape from the reality. At a point in time, I was able to take a decision to be strong, but I found the day Godspower was being buried difficult. That day, I couldn’t get a flight to Calabar (in Cross River State) to pay my last respects to him.

While calling home to keep tabs on his interment, I was at the same time drinking at Twin Towers on the Island, trying to console myself. I was all by myself that day because I left home so that I could be alone. Surprisingly, I realised I was on a stretcher and some management staff members of Twin Tower and Obaji Akpet, my publicist, were watching me. Obaji was standing there and yelling at me, worried that I wanted to kill myself. Only then did I realise I had actually passed out and been in coma for a period I could not remember. That day, Obaji and my friend were awake all night as they tried to distract with their conversations; it was their way of trying to help me feel okay. And it helped. Since then, I have been trying to catch some sleep not induced by alcohol, but it’s been like telling myself another lie.

Share This

1 comment:

Use either of the two comment systems below ''Blog comment" or "Facebook comment''